Monday, October 8, 2007

Entertainment Value

{{Mark and I did our baby entries independently of one another... but it may make you chuckle how similar they are!}}


My life is filled with laughter.

Giggling, actually.

Erica used to be amused by me. But not anymore. I could crack jokes and she’d laugh. I would make some funny, astute comment about current events and she’d laugh. Now she does all her laughing without me.

I’ll hear laughter emanating from the other rooms. I run in and catch Erica lying on the couch or the floor with her shirt pulled up above her belly (that’s actually what got her pregnant in the first place).

“Did you see that?” she giggles.

“What?”

“Your baby sure is kickin’ up a storm….he he he haw! Did you see that one?”

Naturally, I’ve turned away and missed whatever is making her so happy. “What?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Erica does anymore is stare at her belly and giggle; unless, of course, she’s looking at her belly button, which frightens her. She’s afraid it’s going to turn around and stick out.

Our baby moves a lot. She dances on Pointe on Erica’s bladder. Sometimes she does some funky hip hop thing that makes Erica’s belly vibrate. We will watch her explore the boundaries of her world by sticking a foot or fist toward the noise and light.

Erica interprets the movement arbitrarily. We go to a musical and girl baby moves around – she likes the play. A loud motorcycle drives by and girl baby moves – she hates motorcycles. Erica listens to Frank Sinatra, baby moves – likes. I listen to Beastie Boys, baby moves – hates.

We watch a movie about basketball; baby moves…well, I have to interpret that as she likes it. She’s gotta’ get a college education somehow.

No comments: