Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Wait, wait...

Cervicus splenius quadratus lumborum spinae erectors gluteals.

If you read Latin that sentence reads something like "cervical neck square back spine support butt."

If you are familiar with anatomy, you'll recognize that as a list of muscles.

If you are Erica, those are the muscles that are causing the most amount of discomfort and if you are me, those are the muscles that I have to spend a fair amount of time massaging.

As the belly expands, it stresses and pulls on the surrounding tissues, causing discomfort. Due to my time as a college athlete I've had my share of problems and I paid a lot of attention to my rehab and treatments. I know what to do to relieve muscle tension and pain.

So our evenings are spent with Erica laying on her side with my elbow or fist or thumb sticking into her back, neck and hips. Not the most fun or entertaining times, but as we learned in our birthing class: this time is all about making the mother the most comfortable she can be.



No comments: