Monday, July 30, 2007

The Registration

Registering for a wedding is easy. All you do is walk through a store and find all the things you need or want and put them on a list. Since I had already been living on my own when I got married, it was even easier, because I already had most of the things I Needed…. I guess I just needed stuff that “matched.”

Now Registering for your first baby is a scary and overwhelming proposition. It’s not jsu8t finding stuff that matches. I don’t know what kind of nipples to buy for the bottle. I don’t know what kind of stroller to get. I walk into Babies R Us and from my point of view it may as well be a CostCo for aliens. It’s just a warehouse full of stuff that I don’t know anything about. I mean, what is a burp rag?… Do I need two or do I need a doze? And, why can’t I just use a washcloth? Does it need to match the diaper bag and the crib, or not?

I don’t know.

I’ve been soliciting help from my new-mom friends. And it’s still confusing. What’s a Bjorn? Or a Snugli? What’s a Boppy? Does it help me or is it just something I hit myself or my child with?

I don’t know.

So I put my trust in others, to lead me down the right path. And if that path has Bundle Mes and Play Yards… then so be it. Because I sure don’t know what they are.

1 comment:

Just the four of us said...

I can just imagine. Since I don't have a child yet but I have a dog. I feel the same way I guess. I don't know what kind of toys to buy him, what shampoo, or even what kind of food is the healthiest. So now I find myself doing all kinds of research. I check and compare and make sure nothing has been recalled. So if there's something I;ve learned is to be informed. So good luck.