Monday, July 30, 2007

Little Girls

So according to the ultrasound doctor… those were “girl parts” we were looking at. I was happy either way with a girl or a boy. But the thing about a girl is - I’ve never been around little girls.

I grew up with a brother, a basketball coach father and my poor mom (who I think secretly wanted a girl at some point). I have a couple of girl cousins, but they lived on the other side of the country, and all my other cousins are boys. So, if conversation ever lagged, we could always throw rocks at stuff.

I’m a little intrigued and a little scared about he whole little girl experience.

I certainly pay attention to girls now, a lot more than I used to. And it’s not just an observation of “Oh that’s a cute little girl.” It’s more like “Okay, I sure see a lot of pink.” “Boy, she sure is chatty.” “That’s a lot of frilly stuff coming out of the handle bars of that bike.” “Oh look, those roller-blade knee pads of pictures of Arial on them.”

Everyone tells me I’m going to be a great dad to a little girl, but it sure is an adventure into the great unknown for me.

So hopefully I’ll have things to talk about with my little girl because I don’t think resorting to throwing rocks at stuff will work.

No comments: